- arms race
- nouna competition between nations to have the most powerful armaments• Hypernyms: ↑race
* * *competition between countries to achieve superiority in quantity and quality of military arms.[1935-40]
* * *arms race nounCompetition among nations in building up armaments• • •Main Entry: ↑arm
* * *competition between countries to increase the number or power of their weapons of warThesaurus: arms control and disarmamenthyponym
* * *arms race,a competition between countries for supremacy in armaments: »
The arms race is expanding all the time, the armies, navies, and air forces are being increased continuously (New York Times).
* * *n. a competition between nations for superiority in the development and accumulation of weapons, esp. between the U.S. and the former USSR during the Cold War
* * *noun, pl ⋯ races [count]: a situation in which countries that are enemies each try to build or collect weapons faster than the other can
a nuclear arms race
* * *a situation in which countries compete to get the most and best weapons
Useful english dictionary. 2012.